Wednesday, April 14, 2010

''Silent Hill: Origins'' - Frust ...

Heya folks...... long-time survival horror fan here (I remember ''Alone in the Dark'' before Uwe Boll made it suck rocks), I was wondering what folks who've played a bunch of horror games think of it. I've finished every game in the RE series except #5 and some of the ''Outbreak'' scenarios and the rail-shooters, I played the original and ''Silent Hill 2'', I LOVED ''Eternal Darkness''...My question is, is this game frustrating in the same way, say, ''Siren'' was... in that the controls are overly clunky or the combat is like ''Monster Hunter'' (lack of lock-on and long wind-ups for attack leaving you vulnerable)... or like ''Siren'' where things were so well-hidden that a guide was almost a needed thing every minute of the game...This game (and the new one coming out, for that matter) looks great from what I've watched on the YouTubes and here at gamespot as far as story and graphics but like most things on the PSP the reviews are mediocre. We all know that reviews can miss things that we genre fans still find playable and fun.What do you SH fans say about it? And if this has been discussed to death I apologize in advance.''Silent Hill: Origins'' - Frust ...
well for one it's played on the PSP and the PSP has some pretty clunky buttons :/ I'd say the most frustrating thing about that game is the annoying film grain effect. You can't turn it off until you beat the game, so the first play through, it's rather hard to see. Oh and the combat system could have been better.''Silent Hill: Origins'' - Frust ...
Just like SH: Homecoming I thought it was a utter disappointment. I didn't like the story the characters were decent though. The gameplay is kind of broken and clumsy.Also the game was way to easy and short. I finish the game in 2 hrs.Yea I know the other SH titles aren't that long but 2hrs first try come on now. I think Konami should of ended the SH series when Team Silent broke up.
Yeah I had a question on this too. How is the camera. I was able to get this game cheap (that sale GS had) but I wanted to make sure if it was worth so I didn't buy it.
[QUOTE=''jasonharris48'']Just like SH: Homecoming I thought it was a utter disappointment. I didn't like the story the characters were decent though. The gameplay iskind of broken clumsy.Also the game was way to easy and short. I finish the game in 2 hrs.Yea I know the other SH titles aren't that long but 2hrs first try come on now. I think Konami should of ended the SH series when Team Silent broke up.[/QUOTE] Sorry I didn't read TC's first post. Yea the controls are kind of frustrating but you can mange. Especially since Travis (the MC) is kind of over powered even without weapons equipped. As for the camera its the same fixed camera your use to dealing with since SH1 it will get in your way sometimes.
I like it
[QUOTE=''jasonharris48'']Just like SH: Homecoming I thought it was a utter disappointment. I didn't like the story the characters were decent though. The gameplay is kind of broken and clumsy.Also the game was way to easy and short. I finish the game in 2 hrs.Yea I know the other SH titles aren't that long but 2hrs first try come on now. I think Konami should of ended the SH series when Team Silent broke up.[/QUOTE]



What was your rush? I took my time reading almost everything and inspecting the corners of a room. Clocked in at 7 hours, pretty short still, but about a low average in length for a Silent Hill game.



Don't say the combat is broken in this and Homecoming. The combat has always been broken and clumsy in Silent Hill, and, if anything, 0rigins improved on that and Homecoming refined it more. Sure, it ain't the best, but it isn't as bad as the original game's combat. Remember?
[QUOTE=''Zohluff''][QUOTE=''jasonharris48'']Just like SH: Homecoming I thought it was a utter disappointment. I didn't like the story the characters were decent though. The gameplay is kind of broken and clumsy.Also the game was way to easy and short. I finish the game in 2 hrs.Yea I know the other SH titles aren't that long but 2hrs first try come on now. I think Konami should of ended the SH series when Team Silent broke up.[/QUOTE] What was your rush? I took my time reading almost everything and inspecting the corners of a room. Clocked in at 7 hours, pretty short still, but about a low average in length for a Silent Hill game. Don't say the combat is broken in this and Homecoming. The combat has always been broken and clumsy in Silent Hill, and, if anything, 0rigins improved on that and Homecoming refined it more. Sure, it ain't the best, but it isn't as bad as the original game's combat. Remember?[/QUOTE] LOL I have't play the fisrt SH title in over 5 years. I remember crap about it. As SH:0 I didn't rush I found everything (of course not the secon %26 third endings since those requires muiltiple play throughs.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26812358
Clunky? I always thought that was on purpose, to simulate the fact that you are a trucker and not a stars member or private dick or whatever.Same as they don't put a life bar (so to speak) because it's a challenge. Like melee weapons breaking and such .It just gives it that ''I don't know what's going on'' feeling.I loved origins couldn't stop playing, got most of the endgame acheivments thru several playthrus.Looking forward to the next game...
i used a walk through to play it, so its like cheating. i just don't have the patience to look through every door, i just want someone to tell me point a and point b, so i can go from a to b. without walkthrough it can be scary at times. with walkthrough its just too easy lol.
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
The game is awesome, don't listen to gamespot's reviews

The game is not frustrating, combat system is the same as other silent hill games. When i finished this one I felt like playing the first Silent Hill game for Psone, so IMO if you could beat that game, you'll really like Silent Hill Origins as every puzzle is intuitive and fun with just the right amount of difficulty. Not like the first one were I had to use a guide to solve the piano puzzle.



Tip: Try to play it wearing headphones, it gets even more creepy, which is great, I played it on daylight and headphones, nightime was too much for me, but if you can handle it go ahead.
I thought for what it was its was pretty good. As far as handhelds go the graphics in the game were excellent although the grain effect I would rather do without. Great sound especially if played with headphones and on your loansome. I wasnt a fan of the PS1 SH games I was more into Resident Evil but I did enjoy it and look forward to the new PSP SH.
i like the game, i rated it 8.5
I just bought this and so far I think it lives up to the Silent Hill series. But then again, I've liked every game accept four. The battle's do seem more refined to me, if not a bit easier than some of the others. As others have said, it is a bit clunky, but it works and most importantly IT''S STILL FUN! I can't really give you more of a review than this as I haven't beat it yet, but so far, so good.
If you like Silent Hill you will like this game. The only Silent game I don't like was #4 ''The Room''. This is worth the 10 bucks or so you can get it for definately. Hopefull when the new one comes out for PSP they will release the original on PSN.
i loved it
It's not like SH origins is the only game on psp with clunky controls. Personally I prefer them to the controls of SH 1, 2 and 3 because it's just too frustrating.The worst thing I hated about Siren though was the British accents on the Japanese people, in Japan.
''Siren'' is like the FF of Survival Horror... it's for people serious about their game, I got too nerved out trying to keep track of all the shedoobies or whatever they called the wandering zom-boids (shinsaki or shin-kicki or whatever... it's been a few years). I've finished ''Resident Evil: Deadly Silence'' a few times now, and I need another mobile horror game. Wish I could find the bloody game used for less than $18 US, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment